Terrific Taco Salad
I’ll only eat it “if I’m sleeping with the cook.” I avoid most restaurants as well as food that comes out of a box or window. Hence, my wife cooks often. And each and every meal is designed to:
1. Taste great
2. Ward off overeating
3. Optimize hormone intelligence
This meal is no exception! Meet Terrific Taco Salad courtesy of Lea-Ann. Like it? Then share it and post a comment.
- 2 lbs Kosher, organic ground beef
- 3 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- handful of cherry tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can of organic diced tomatoes
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 avocado, skinned and cut into small chunks ( medium ripe is best, too ripe will just smush )
- 1/2 cilantro
- sour cream
- shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 packet Trader Joe’s Taco Seasoning Mix
1. Brown beef in large skillet over medium heat.
2. While beef browns put your lettuce in a bowl.
3. On a platter arrange sliced bell pepper, onion, avocado, and cilantro.
4. In small ramekins, add shredded cheese and sour cream.
5. When meat is done browning, add packet of TJ’s Taco Mix and stir well. Let cook for a couple more minutes.
6. Add the can of diced tomato to meat and stir. Simmer on low heat.
7. In a food processor blend tomato paste and cherry tomatoes. Add to meat mix.
8. Turn off heat and let sit for about 5 minutes to marry the flavors.
9. Plate lettuce and top with your choice of given toppings.
You can easily substitute the ground beef for ground turkey, bison, or pork if preferred. Also, the taco mix is slightly spicy. Just use a 1/2 packet if you have a sensitive eater in the house.About the Author
Shane "The People's Chemist" Ellison holds master's degree in organic chemistry and is the author of Over-The-Counter Natural Cures (SourceBooks). He's been quoted by USA Today, Shape, Woman's World, US News and World Report, as well as Women's Health and appeared on Fox and NBC as a medicine and health expert. Start living young by signing up for his FREE Natural Cures Watchdog below.