6 Questions and Answers for the Obese and Diabetic
1. Diabetes and heart disease seem to have a stronger connection than almost any other health conditions: What is it about the two that makes them so strongly linked?
Both are “sugar-eating diseases.” As blood sugar skyrockets, so does insulin. Insulin resistance sets in. Blood sugar is no longer shuttled into the muscle cells. Over time, type II diabetes results. As blood sugar floats in the bloodstream, it reacts with nearby amino acids. This creates “AGE-Products.” These artery damaging molecules get bound in the mechanically stressed regions of the coronary arteries. The body responds with “inflammation.” Atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) is the outcome. Early death from heart attack can result, about twice as often compared to non-diabetics.
2. If you have diabetes, what warning signs should prompt you to see your doctor about heart disease?
Obesity, afternoon lethargy and poor mental focus are early warning signs. Blood tests that show increased levels of fasting blood sugar (> 115) and glycated hemoglobin (A1C) as well as decreased levels of 25-hydroxy vitamin D are some of the best biomarkers for type II diabetes.
3. What extra steps should you take as a diabetic to prevent heart disease?
The best step to avoiding heart disease is to abstain from high-fructose corn syrup. Minimizing daily sugar intake to 10-15 grams can do wonders for warding off a heart attack. Direct sunshine 15-20 minutes daily helps too. It increases insulin sensitivity among diabetics and therefore lowers blood sugar to healthy levels.
4. How important is diet to heart disease prevention for diabetics?
Both are modern day plagues that are the result of modern day nutrient deficiencies. Diet is 90% of it. Exercise and common sense is the remaining 10%.
5. What about exercise? What does the diabetic need to know when it comes to preventing heart disease through physical fitness?
Interval training can trigger 2 of the 5 insulin receptors found on muscle cells, which in turn causes excess blood sugar to be vacuumed out of the blood stream. By lowering blood sugar, we protect against heart disease and diabetes. This benefit can last up to two days. Thus, exercise doesn’t fai! So, instead of asking your doctor if the latest prescription drug is right for you, ask them if “getting off your ass is right for you.”
Get my FREE Insulin and Blood Sugar Control Workout by sending an email to [email protected]
6. Any other tips and techniques for preventing or controlling diabetes-related heart disease?
Watch out for monosodium glutamate (MSG) in your food.
About the Author
My name is Shane “The People’s Chemist” Ellison. I hold a master’s degree in organic chemistry and am the author of Over-The-Counter Natural Cures Expanded Edition (SourceBooks). I’ve been quoted by USA Today, Shape, Woman’s World, US News and World Report, as well as Women’s Health and appeared on Fox and NBC as a medicine and health expert. Start protecting yourself and loved ones with my FREE report, The 5 Deadly Pills Checklist.